Hallmark Security League First Division North 
19/01/2019, 3:00 pm
AFC Blackpool
3 - 1
AFC Darwen
First Team

Match Report





Although Darwen fielded quite a strong side, they were second best for most of the match, only coming to life when scoring the equalising goal in the seventy eighth minute.

The visitors had the first chance in the third minute as Leon Creech put a Matt Farnworth pass just the wrong side of the post. Nine minutes later a good Blackpool move saw a low ball from the wing crossing close to the Darwen goal line, with by Jamie Milligan failing to make contact. In the thirty seventh minute Ryan White’s effort from the edge of the Darwen box flew past the upright.

Five minutes later, a cross found Jack Webster unmarked in the Darwen area. He had time to control the ball but his effort just cleared the junction of post and bar. In injury time Jordan Gidley had to be alert to push a snap shot from Jack Webster round the post, as Darwen were fortunate to go in at half time still on level terms.

Half Time: AFC Blackpool 0 AFC Darwen 0

As the second half started, Jamie Edwards put Nicky McNally clear but his drive, under defender pressure, cleared the bar.

Ten minutes into the restart Blackpool took the lead. A free kick from just inside the Darwen half was pumped into the box, the ball was partly cleared to Ryan White outside the area who returned a low cross that went through a few bodies to sneak inside the post.

Midway through the half, a point blank Blackpool effort was blocked by a Darwen body. On twenty minutes, Danny Taylor was put through but fired just wide of the post. Five minutes later, a mishit clearance out by Jordan Gidley was gathered by Ryan White. He cut into the box, beat two players, with his drive being brilliantly turned round the post by the Darwen keeper.

Against the run of play, Darwen equalised with just over ten minutes left. Jack Prince put the ball into the Blackpool area, it was headed back to Danny Taylor, whose low drive beat the diving Alex Cameron.

Straight from kick off, Darwen regained the ball, Jack Prince was put clear but he headed straight at Cameron, who was able to punch clear. At the other end Jordan Gidley made a good save from a shot on the edge of the area.

With a minute of normal time to go, Blackpool were awarded a free kick on the corner of the box. The ball was floated in and Jake Darnell powerfully headed in to put Blackpool back in front.

In injury time the home side made sure of victory when Tom Preston squeezed the ball in from a narrow angle.

Full Time: AFC Blackpool 3 AFC Darwen 1


REFEREE: Peter Leonard

ASSISTANTS: Dave Wolfenden, Joe Hind


AFC Blackpool: White (55), Darnell (89), Preston (90+2)

AFC Darwen: Taylor (78)


AFC Blackpool: Jamie Milligan

AFC Darwen: Danny Taylor

YELLOW CARDS: Pickering, White (AFC Blackpool) Eadie, Farnworth, Holt, Fraser (AFC Darwen)



AFC Blackpool

1 Alex Cameron

2 Fran Donaghy

3 Ryan McLean

4 Cameron Gourley

5 Jake Darnell

6 Danny Pickering

7 Jack Webster

8 Jamie Milligan

9 Ben Duffield

10 Tom Preston

11 Ryan White

12 Ryan Vaughan (replaced Pickering, 86 minutes)

14 Simon Williams

16 Steve Betteridge (replaced McLean, 82 minutes)

17 Conah Bishop (replaced Webster, 61 minutes)

AFC Darwen

1 Jordan Gidley

2 Jamie Gibson

3 Henry Eadie

4 Matt Farnworth (Capt.)

5 Sam Knowles

6 Sam Holt

7 Leon Creech

8 Kiel Lonsdale

9 Elliot Pond

10 Danny Taylor

11 Nicky McNally

12 Jon Fraser (replaced McNally, 56 minutes)

14 Jack Prince (replaced Gibson, 61 minutes)

15 Jamie Edwards (replaced Lonsdale, 38 minutes)

17 Matt Wright