Lancashire Challenge Trophy Round 1
25/09/2018, 7:45 pm
5 - 3
AFC Darwen
First Team

Match Report





Despite a host of injuries to first team squad members, and with three new players making their debut, Darwen put up a spirited performance in this Lancashire FA Trophy match against a team two divisions higher. Sam Holt, Kyle Preece, and Scott Walsh appeared in a Darwen shirt for the first time. Former Salmoners player Anthony Lynch was in the Colne line-up.

The visitors got off to a flying start when Nyle Ellis gave them the lead with a shot through a crowded goalmouth after only two minutes.

Colne were spurred into action with Spencer Jordan and Waqas Azam finding gaps in the Darwen defence up the right wing. Azam blazed a shot just over the bar after five minutes before Joe Gaughan saw his shot saved at the near post by Darwen keeper Jordan Gidley.

As Colne piled on the pressure, Matthew Farnworth made a series of clearances from the Darwen goalmouth when a Reds goal seemed inevitable. After 28 minutes, Sam Howell’s through ball sent Azam racing to the bye line and his hard driven cross was fired home at the far post by Gaughan to level the scores at 1-1.

Ten minutes later, Darwen regained the lead when they picked up a half clearance and a cross to the far post was fired home by Sam Knowles to restore their advantage.

One minute later, the Reds grabbed their second equaliser when Alex Pope jinked his way into the area before firing home to level the scores at 2-2.

One minute before half time, Colne went in front when Jordan’s cross from the right wing found Gaughan who made no mistake with a shot from six yards to give the Reds a 3-2 lead at the interval.

Half Time: Colne 3 AFC Darwen 2

Colne pressed forward in the second half and Pope forced a great diving save from Gidley to knock his goal-bound shot over the bar.

The Reds forced a series of corners and after 70 minutes, a cross fell to Chris Lynch at the far post and his low shot into the goalmouth was turned in from close range by Frank Jones to give Colne a 4-2 lead.

Darwen came back strongly and Danny Taylor’s shot brought a good save from Hakan Burton before Leon Creech saw his shot blocked in the Colne penalty area.

After 86 minutes, the Reds went further ahead when Matty Morgan’s cross from the right wing was headed back across goal and inside the far post by Brad Lynch for a 5-2 lead.

With time running out, Darwen reduced the deficit when a half clearance fell to Sam Holt who found the bottom corner of the Colne net with his shot to round off the scoring at 5-3.

Full Time: Colne 5 AFC Darwen 3

(Report courtesy of Colne Football Club)


REFEREE: Andrew Parkinson



Colne: Gaughan (28, 44), Pope (40), Jones (70), Lynch (86)

AFC Darwen: Ellis (2), Knowles (39), Holt (90)


Colne: Waqas Azam

AFC Darwen: Danny Taylor

YELLOW CARDS: Lynch (Colne), Wood (AFC Darwen)




1 Hakan Burton (Capt.)

2 Frank Jones

3 Luke Higham

4 Chris Lynch

5 Jonathan Hodgkinson

6 Sam Howell

7 Spencer Jordan

8 Alex Pope

9 Joe Gaughan

10 Anthony Lynch

11 Waqas Azam

12 Marcus Poscha

13 Matty Morgan (replaced Hodgkinson, 58 minutes)

14 Connor Hughes

15 Brad Lynch (replaced Howell, 58 minutes)

16 Kyle Sambor (replaced Gaughan, 72 minutes)

AFC Darwen

1 Jordan Gidley

2 Kieran Wood (Capt.)

3 Harrison Green

4 Matt Farnworth

5 Sam Holt

6 Sam Knowles

7 Leon Creech

8 Jamie Edwards

9 Danny Taylor

10 Kyle Preece

11 Nyle Ellis

12 Scott Walsh (replaced ??, ?? minutes)

14 Gary Brown (replaced ??, ?? minutes)

15 James Brindle