First Division Cup 1st Round
08/09/2018, 3:00 pm
AFC Darwen
2 - 4
Carlisle City
WEC Group Anchor Ground
First Team

Match Report





With nine first team squad members unavailable, including no recognised defenders, this game was always going to be a challenge, and defensive errors were to cost Darwen dear.

It was the worst possible start for the home side when Robert McCartney was put clear to fire past Jordan Gidley in goal to give Carlisle a first minute lead. David Reynard was through five minutes later but Gidley saved the deflected shot.

Darwen went close as Nyle Ellis put the ball past Stephen Townsley and the post.

The visitors were then awarded a penalty for a push by Kiel Lonsdale, which McCartney duly dispatched.

On sixteen minutes, Danny Taylor picked up a Lonsdale pass, but under pressure, shot wide of the post. A shot on the turn by Elliot Pond was gathered by Townsley. With ten minutes of the half left, a Matt Farnworth effort from over thirty yards out was pushed away for a corner by the Carlisle keeper, but then it was Jordan Gidley’s turn to make a double save as the ball went to the other end. There were Darwen calls for handball as a cross caused panic in the Carlisle penalty area, but referee Nigel Anderson waved claims away.

With just over five minutes of the half to go, a ball over the top by Carlisle was completely missed by Kiel Lonsdale, letting McCartney in to score his and Carlisle’s third goal.

Half Time: AFC Darwen 0 Carlisle City 3

Four minutes into the restart, Stephen Townsley made a great save from Jamie Edwards, pushing away the ball for a corner.

While the home side had started the better, it was the visitors who scored again after ten minutes. Gidley made a good block from James Earl, but as the ball went out to the side it was rolled back in, and Robert McCartney stretched out a foot to poke home for Carlisle’s fourth goal.

A volley by Matt Farnworth was pushed away by Townsley, but then with over twenty minutes to go Darwen pulled a goal back. Danny Taylor was denied by the keeper with the rebound coming to Leon Creech on the edge of the box, who blasted the ball into the back of the net.

Elliot Pond went close before Darwen scored again with Danny Taylor powerfully heading in from a corner with fifteen minutes to go.

Darwen’s injury worries increased as firstly Kiel Lonsdale was forced off with a groin strain, and then Elliot Pond had to be stretchered off after a clash near the Carlisle penalty area.

Although the second half belonged to Darwen, a late Carlisle free kick from midway inside the Darwen half had to be tipped over the bar by Jordan Gidley.

Full Time: AFC Darwen 2 Carlisle City 4


REFEREE: Nigel Anderson

ASSISTANTS: Mark Green, Lewis Ellis


Carlisle City: McCartney (1, 14 (pen), 39, 56)

AFC Darwen: Creech (67) Taylor (74)


Carlisle City: Robert McCartney

AFC Darwen: Gary Brown

YELLOW CARDS: Allison, Armstrong (Carlisle City) Saeed, Lonsdale (AFC Darwen)



Carlisle City

1 Stephen Townsley

2 Peter Allison

3 Daniel Greenslade

4 Lee Hoolickin

5 Tyran Taylor

6 Thomas Short

7 David Reynard

8 James Earl

9 Robert McCartney

10 Aaron Bradbury

11 Keiron Blair

12 Jamie Heath (replaced Hoolickin, 69 minutes)

13 Jack Boyd

14 Josh Simpson

15 Kyle Armstrong (replaced Bradbury, 56 minutes)

16 Carl Carr

AFC Darwen

1 Jordan Gidley

2Gary Brown

3 Adam Heaney

4 Matt Farnworth

5 Kiel Lonsdale (Capt.)

6 Yahya Saeed

7 Leon Creech

8 Jamie Edwards

9 Danny Taylor

10 Elliot Pond

11 Nyle Ellis

12 Liam Cole (replaced Lonsdale, 63 minutes)

14 Kahiel Crosdale (replaced Pond, 79 minutes)

17 Jim Brindle