Hallmark Security League First Division North 
18/08/2018, 3:00 pm
St Helens Town
2 - 2
AFC Darwen
First Team

Match Report





Darwen made their first draw of the season on the St Helens Town artificial pitch that neither team seemed to enjoy playing on. Four players made their debut for Darwen today – goalkeeper Ryan Tweddle, Nyle Ellis, Bradley Cooper, and Elliot Pond.

On minute four, St Helens had the first shot on target by Daniel Greene, who shot straight at Ryan Tweddle in goal. The ball was swiftly up to the other end where a well hit drive by Nyle Ellis was pushed away by home keeper Carl Williams. Eight minutes later a Yahya Saeed effort from thirty yards just cleared the bar.

The visitors took the lead from a throw in on nineteen minutes. Nyle Ellis received the ball on the wing and a low cross into the box was met by the outstretched foot of Adam Heaney and the ball was in the back of the net.

In the twenty third minute, Ryan Tweddle made a good block to keep out another shot from Greene. On the half hour Karl Turner passed a free kick on the edge of the St Helens box to Corey Harrison. His low drive was seen at the last minute by Carl Williams, who finger tipped the ball away for a corner. Seven minutes later, Liam Diggle came close to levelling the score as his shot heading goalwards was deflected away for a corner.

Half Time: St Helens Town 0 AFC Darwen 1

Three minutes into the restart, full back Jesse Robinson broke clear down the wing with his effort being well blocked by Ryan Tweddle, followed by the Darwen defence hacking the ball to safety. At the other end Danny Taylor broke down the left but there was no red shirt in the box to finish off his cross into the box.

Two minutes later and the scores were level as a ball into the Darwen box was back headed by Liam Diggle over Ryan Tweddle, dipping under the roof of the net.

Straight after the kick-off Williams brought off a great save to deny Corey Harrison.

On fifty four minutes, the Darwen defence didn’t react quickly enough to a throw-in, as Liam Diggle latched onto the throw to power a shot past Tweddle giving the home side the lead.

St. Helens were putting most of the pressure on, but it was Darwen who scored the next goal midway through the half as a ball into the home penalty area was only cleared to substitute Bradley Cooper. He looped it over the head of Williams in goal to square the match.

The home side came close on seventy five minutes when Ryan Tweddle failed to get good contact from a corner, but a Darwen boot cleared the ball off the goal line. Darwen came back into the match in the last ten minutes, putting pressure on the home defence, and an effort from Elliot Pond produced a great save from Williams in goal.

Full Time: St Helens Town 2 AFC Darwen 2


REFEREE: P Leonard

ASSISTANTS: R Hoey, J Ridley


St Helens Town: Diggle (50, 54)

AFC Darwen: Heaney (19), Cooper (66)


St Helens Town: Neil Weaver

AFC Darwen: Harrison Green

YELLOW CARDS: Furlong (St Helens Town) Taylor, Lonsdale (AFC Darwen)

RED CARDS: Presho (2 Yellows) (St Helens Town)


St Helens Town

1 Carl Williams

2 Andrew Presho

3 Jesse Robinson

4 Liam Dodd (Capt.)

5 Andrew Webster

6 Michael Furlong

7 Sean Richards

8 Thomas Grimshaw

9 Liam Diggle

10 Daniel Greene

11 Neil Weaver

12 Dominic Whelan (replaced Dodd, 88 minutes)

14 Daniel Lomax (replaced Grimshaw, 71 minutes)

15 Hal McHugh

16 Paul Cliff (replaced ??, ?? minutes)

AFC Darwen

1 Ryan Tweddle

2 Harrison Green

3 Anthony Hodges

4 Adam Heaney

5 Sam Knowles

6 Kiel Lonsdale (Capt.)

7 Nyle Ellis

8 Karl Turner

9 Danny Taylor

10 Yahya Saeed

11 Corey Harrison

12 Jon Fraser (replaced Turner, 64 minutes)

14Kahiel Crosdale

15 Bradley Cooper (replaced Heaney, 56 minutes)

16 Elliot Pond (replaced Taylor, 63 minutes)

17 Matt Cain