Hallmark Security League Premier Division 
21/09/2016, 7:45 pm
AFC Darwen
0 - 6
Maine Road
WEC Group Anchor Ground
First Team

Match Report





A very disappointing home performance by Darwen resulted in a heavy defeat on an evening that should have produced a good even sided game. Bobby Langford was available to start in one of the home side’s strongest squads of the season so far.

Darwen had the first shot on target with Maine Road goal minder Ryan Livesey getting a strong hand to palm away an effort from Ryan McKenna.

Five minutes later, Maine Road opened the scoring as Danny Jackson failed to hold on to an angled drive from Jamie Roe which ended up in the back of the net. Thirteen minutes later, Joe O’Brien slipped the ball across the penalty box were Joshua Tinker was waiting to lob over Danny Jackson’s head for two-nil.

Within the half hour the visitors were three up. A free kick was awarded thirty yards from goal. Richard Williams drove a low shot into the box with the loose ball finding its way back out to Matthew Morgan, who drove it home. Five minutes later, it should have been four as Ryan Livesey cleared the ball well into the Darwen half putting Richard Williams free. As Danny Jackson rushed from goal, Williams booted the ball over his head and the bar.

With less than ten minutes to go, a fierce shot by Bobby Langford was scrambled clear by Livesey, with Ryan McKenna just failing to get to the rebound

Half Time: AFC Darwen 0 Maine Road 3

Five minutes into the restart Ryan McKenna put Bobby Langford clear, but Livesey rushed out to get to the ball a fraction before the Darwen striker. Then a Darwen free kick into the Maine Road penalty area was side footed on to the post by Ollie Birchall. On sixty three minutes another effort, this time from Martin Hillier at the edge of the box was pushed away for a corner, as it increasingly looked like Darwen were on the brink of getting a foothold back in the match.

Hopes of a comeback were dashed with twelve minutes to go when a ball over the Darwen defence put Jamie Roe through and he lobbed over Danny Jackson into the net. Three minutes from time it was five as a quickly taken throw caught out the home defence and a pass found Matthew Morgan in the clear to slot the ball past Jackson.

A thoroughly dejected Darwen gave away another goal in injury time. Saul Henderson was allowed to break free to fire into the net to make it six for the visitors.

Full Time: AFC Darwen 0 Maine Road 6


REFEREE: Samuel Barrott

Maine Road: Roe (10, 78), Tinker (23), Morgan (27, 87), Henderson (90+2)
AFC Darwen:

Maine Road: Matthew Morgan
AFC Darwen: Ryan McKenna

Blundell (Maine Road)


Maine Road
1 Ryan Livesey
2 Joel Senior
3 Joshua Tinker
4 Jonathan Mason (Capt.)
5 Louis Edwards
6 Jack Blundell
7 Rory Bresun
8 Matthew Morgan
9 Joseph O’Brien
10 Rick Williams
11 Jamie Roe
12 Saul Henderson (replaced ??, 84 minutes)
14 Thomas Keyworth (replaced O’Brien, 30 minutes)
15 Joshua Burrows (replaced ??, 77 minutes)
17 Alex Fowell

AFC Darwen
1 Danny Jackson
2 Keith Wedge
3 Sam Morris
4 Jordan Scott
5 Martyn Hillier
6 Ollie Birchall
7 Kallum Banks
8 Kiel Lonsdale (Capt.)
9 Ryan McKenna
10 Bobby Langford
11 Jonathan McDonald
12 Anthony Lynch (replaced Hillier, 66 minutes)
14 Nick Hepple (replaced McDonald, 57 minutes)
15 Liam Cole
16 Luke McKenna
18 Karl Turner (replaced Scott, 68 minutes)