Hallmark Security League First Division North 
05/01/2019, 3:00 pm
4 - 0
AFC Darwen
First Team

Match Report





Darwen lost this match within the first half hour as Chadderton managed to cut through the visitor defence with ease and score three goals in the process.

Darwen had just about cleared a threat from one corner in the third minute when another one was launched into the box and fell to Ben Matthews, who found the inside of the post to give Chadderton an early lead.

The Salmoners were ineffective up front and Chadderton quickly doubled the lead in the eleventh minute with Oumar Camara beating the offside trap to fire past Jordan Gidley.

On eighteen minutes the home side had to defend against a cross from Danny Taylor with Aidan Young clearing just over his own crossbar. Three minutes later, Chadderton’s Dillon O’Connor’s effort from an angle brushed past the opposite post. An Elliot Pond cross then found Leon Creech on his own in the box, but he headed over the bar.

The home side made it three within the half hour as O’Connor weaved his way past defenders to slide the ball into the Darwen net.

Three minutes later, a Leon Creech cross located Danny Taylor at the far post but his header back across goal went wide. An Elliot Pond drive from a Jamie Edwards pass found the side netting. Pond then turned on a pass from Taylor to find the target with Chadderton keeper Dale Latham doing well to push the ball away for a corner. Another effort by Elliot Pond from the edge of the area cleared the bar.

Half Time: Chadderton 3 AFC Darwen 0

The second half started with a wholesale change to the Darwen defence as Jon Fraser, Jamie Gibson, and Karl Turner were replaced by Henry Eadie, Jack Prince, and Matt Farnworth.

The first chance of the second period fell to Chadderton as a drive from Siyam Muhammad whistled by the post with Darwen keeper Gidley stranded. Darwen missed a good chance ten minutes in when Jamie Edwards beat the offside trap only to fire straight at Latham in goal. A minute later, a looping drive from O’Connor bounced off the Darwen crossbar. Latham then made a good block to stop an Elliot Pond shot from going just inside the post. The visitors had another good opportunity to reduce the deficit as a Pond shot was blocked and fell at the feet of Jack Price in acres of space, but he blasted the ball over the bar.

The home side had been sitting on their lead for most of the second half, but as the match entered its closing stages, a ball was booted upfield. A Darwen defender and Chadderton forward both went up for the ball inside the Darwen box, which landed for substitute Bailey Whalley to stroke into the back of the net. With two minutes to go, a home defender threw his body in front of Elliot Pond to stop a certain goal, and had to receive subsequent treatment.

Full Time: Chadderton 4 AFC Darwen 0


REFEREE: Jack Ryan

ASSISTANTS: Alex Smith, David Martindale


Chadderton: Matthews (4), Camara (11), O’Connor (27), Whalley (84)

AFC Darwen:


Chadderton: Dillon O’Connor

AFC Darwen: Sam Holt

YELLOW CARDS: Tayo (Chadderton), Fraser, Holt, Taylor, Prince (AFC Darwen)




1 Dale Latham

2 Aidan Young

3 Ben Matthews

4 Jordan Butterworth

5 Devon Matthews (Capt.)

6 Nathan Tayo

7 Dillon O’Connor

8 James Dwyer

9 Harry Pratt

10 Oumar Camara

11 Sam Riley

12 Siyam Muhammad (replaced Young, 46 minutes)

13 Jordan Hadlow

14 Bailey Whalley (replaced Pratt, 76 minutes)

15 Corey Kelly (replaced Camara, 69 minutes)

AFC Darwen

1 Jordan Gidley

2 Jon Fraser

3 Jamie Gibson

4 Karl Turner

5 Sam Knowles (Capt.)

6 Sam Holt

7 Leon Creech

8 Jamie Edwards

9 Elliot Pond

10 Danny Taylor

11 Nyle Ellis

12 Henry Eadie(replaced Turner, 46 minutes)

13 Matt Wright

14 Jack Prince (replaced Fraser, 46 minutes)

15 Matt Farnworth (replaced Gibson, 46 minutes)