Hallmark Security League First Division North 
29/12/2018, 3:00 pm
AFC Darwen
2 - 1
Bacup Borough
WEC Group Anchor Ground
First Team

Match Report





Darwen moved up to seventh in the League, and top of the current form table with five wins out of six after this result. They looked to be holding on to a comfortable two goal lead established after quarter of an hour until they were reduced to ten men, but managed to prevail as Bacup threw everything into attack. Henry Eadie was making his debut for the club.

Darwen were quickly off the mark. A pass from Karl Turner found Jamie Edwards, whose progress in the box was unceremoniously halted by Bacup keeper Henry Turner. The penalty was confidently put away by Elliot Pond.

On the quarter hour, Bacup were awarded a free kick five yards outside the box after a high boot by a Darwen defender. The kick was blocked and gathered by Nicholas McNally, who raced into the opponents half and the laid a ball out to Elliot Pond. The Darwen striker reached the edge of the box and fired past Turner into the roof of the net to double the home side’s lead.

Bacup were given a good opportunity to score ten minutes later when a Darwen defender slipped as he was clearing a ball from the Bacup half, letting Bobby Carter through on goal. As keeper Jordan Gidley came out to narrow the angle, the Bacup striker put the ball past him but wide of the post. Just after the half hour an effort by Michael Gervin was blocked by Jordan Gidley, and then Gidley and a defender both went for a high ball with it dropping to Bacup winger Anthony Hall, but he also fired the wrong side of the upright. In another Bacup attack Gervin lifted the ball over the Darwen keeper and the bar.

Half Time: AFC Darwen 2 Bacup Borough 0

Four minutes into the restart, Danny Taylor set up Nicky McNally with a clear view of goal but the Darwen winger didn’t connect well and Henry Turner made a comfortable save. On seventy three minutes, a cross into the Darwen area was headed towards goal, forcing a diving save from Jordan Gidley to push the ball round the post.

The home side were reduced to ten men for the second match running when McNally received a second yellow with ten minutes plus injury time to go. This gave Bacup new hope and a cross into the Darwen box saw Adrian Bellamy scoop the ball over the bar from five yards out. Five minutes later, a big boot from the Bacup half found Louis Holding, who tried to head over Gidley, but the Darwen keeper jumped high to catch the ball.

With time running out, a Bacup free kick was hit low but well saved by Gidley. From the resultant corner, the home keeper came out to punch the ball away but was adjudged to have committed a foul. Anthony Hall put the penalty away to give Bacup hope, but Darwen held on.

Full Time: AFC Darwen 2 Bacup Borough 1


REFEREE: Matt Archibald

ASSISTANTS: Ali Rahjoo, Andy Waring


Bacup Borough: Hall (90+1, pen.)

AFC Darwen: Pond (3, pen., 16)


Bacup Borough: Bobby Carter

AFC Darwen: Jordan Gidley

YELLOW CARDS: Banda, Alexander (Bacup Borough), Ellis, Taylor (AFC Darwen)

RED CARDS: McNally (2 yellows) (AFC Darwen)


Bacup Borough

1 Henry Turner

2 Joshua Walne

3 Davison Banda

4 Adrian Bellamy (Capt.)

5 Nicholas Alexander

6 Darcy O’Connor

7 Anthony Hall

8 Kyle Brooks

9 Bobby Carter

10 Michael Gervin

11 Rees Welsh

12 Louis Holding (replaced ??, 80 minutes)

14 Matthew Dell (replaced Walne, 46 minutes)

15 Benjamin Rhodes

16 Jordan Wilmore (replaced ??, 65 minutes)

17 Harrison Leach

AFC Darwen

1 Jordan Gidley

2 Jon Fraser

3 Jamie Gibson

4 Karl Turner

5 Sam Knowles (Capt.)

6 Sam Holt

7 Nyle Ellis

8 Jamie Edwards

9 Elliot Pond

10 Danny Taylor

11 Nicholas McNally

12 Henry Eadie (replaced Gibson, 60 minutes)

14 Jack Prince

15 Kiel Lonsdale (replaced Turner, 82 minutes)

16 Matthew Wright