Hallmark Security League First Division North 
04/09/2018, 7:45 pm
AFC Darwen
5 - 1
WEC Group Anchor Ground
First Team

Match Report





After a goal less first half in which Chadderton failed to take some golden chances, Darwen produced possibly their best second half performances so far to power to victory with a hat-trick from Yahya Saeed and two from Elliot Pond. Darwen had no new starters this time, but welcomed back Kiel Lonsdale from injury.

The visitors created the first real chance of the game after eleven minutes when Ryan Shenton ran onto a ball over the top, with only the outstretched boot of Darwen keeper Jordan Ridley preventing the Chadderton winger from opening the scoring.

A minute later, Danny Taylor had Darwen’s first effort on target but the shot was aimed straight at visiting goal minder Jordan Hadlow for a comfortable save. Another minute, another Darwen chance as a free kick from Yahya Saeed was pushed away for a corner by Hadlow

A golden chance came for Chadderton on sixteen minutes as a Darwen defender slipped on his back when trying to cut out a through pass. James Dwyer latched on to the loose ball and crossed to Ryan Shenton in front of an open goal, but he unbelievably fired wide.

It was Darwen’s turn again to come close on twenty three minutes as a powerful Leon Creech shot was blocked by Hadlow. On the half hour a Chadderton throw inside the Darwen half found Leon Iluobe. He set up Shenton, who forced a good save from Gidley. With ten minutes of the half left, Martin Parker rose highest to head past the post from a corner.

With two minutes of normal time to go, a Darwen misplaced pass gifted the ball to Dillan O’Connor, but with only Gidley in goal to beat, he chipped over the bar.

Half Time: AFC Darwen 0 Chadderton 0

The restart was only three minutes old when Jordan Gidley was called into action to tip a Nathan Connor strike from distance over the bar.

Five minutes later Chadderton opened the scoring from a Sam Riley free kick as Devon Matthews rose highest to loop a header over Jordan Gidley.

The lead only lasted three minutes. Elliot Pond gathered a throw-in, beat a defender, and the struck a low shot from twenty five yards out that sneaked inside the post away from the outstretched fingers of Jordan Hadlow. Three minutes later the home side went close with Jamie Edwards forcing a good stop from Hadlow and then Pond latching onto the loose ball but pushing it wide of the post.

On the hour, Chadderton cleared a Darwen attack upfield, reaching Leon Iluobe. His powerful shot struck Jordan Ridley in the chest but the Darwen keeper managed to gather the ball at the second attempt.

Two minutes later, Darwen were awarded a free kick halfway into Chadderton territory. Matthew Farnworth floated the ball into the box and a glancing header from Yahya Saeed found the net to give the home side the lead.

With twenty minutes to go, Darwen scored again. Danny Taylor picked the ball up in the centre circle and raced away down the wing to put a dangerous ball into the visitor’s box. Jamie Edwards headed onto the bar, but Yahya Saeed followed up to sweep the ball in from five yards.

Five minutes later, Taylor put Elliot Pond clear and his low drive was headed goalwards until Hadlow dived to push the ball away for a corner.

With ten minutes of normal time remaining, Darwen were awarded a penalty when Pond was tripped in the area. Yahya Saeed took the spot kick and scored with ease to complete his first hat-trick for the club.

Chadderton had a good chance to reduce the deficit in the closing stages as a kick out by Gidley was headed back to Iluobe on the wing. He crossed to find James Dwyer in acres of space ten yards out, but the forward contrived to shoot over the bar.

As the visitors were pushing up to get something else from the match in injury time, a Darwen clearance found Elliot Pond upfield. He raced through, beating a defender, to smash an unstoppable shot past Hadlow to make it five for the home side.

Full Time: AFC Darwen 5 Chadderton 1


REFEREE: Ainsley Sawicz

ASSISTANTS: Dan Curran, Abby Dearden


Chadderton: Matthews (53)

AFC Darwen: Pond (56, 90+1), Saeed (62, 70, 80, pen.)


Chadderton: Leon Iluobe

AFC Darwen: Elliot Pond

YELLOW CARDS: Tayo, Matthews, Dwyer (Chadderton)




1 Jordan Hadlow

2 Sam Riley

3 Nathan Tayo

4 Jordan Butterworth

5 Michael Woolfe (Capt.)

6 Devon Matthews

7 Dillan O’Connor

8 Nathan Connor

9 Leon Ilube

10 James Dwyer

11 Ryan Shenton

12 Joe Pennington (replaced Tayo, 46 minutes)

14 Jack Meylan (replaced Butterworth, 46 minutes)

15 Toby Ferguson

16 Jack Ward (replaced Shenton, 67 minutes)

17 Daniel Cryer

AFC Darwen

1 Jordan Gidley

2 Kiel Lonsdale

3 Anthony Hodges (Capt.)

4 Matt Farnworth

5 Martin Parker

6 Matt Cain

7 Leon Creech

8 Jamie Edwards

9 Danny Taylor

10 Elliot Pond

11 Nyle Ellis

12 Liam Cole (replaced Cain, 10 minutes)

15 Kahiel Crosdale (replaced Ellis, 86 minutes)

16Yahya Saeed (replaced Ellis, 73 minutes)

17 Jim Brindle