Hallmark Security League Premier Division 
24/03/2018, 3:00 pm
AFC Darwen
1 - 3
WEC Group Anchor Ground
First Team

Match Report





In a bottom of the table clash at the Anchor today Barnton claimed only their second league win of the season and moved to within three points of an out of sorts Darwen. Dean Smallridge was making his debut for the home side.

The visitors were awarded a penalty after five minutes when Fenton Brown was adjudged to have tripped an opponent in the box. Chris Bandell put away the spot kick. James Whittingham then made a good diving save on thirteen minutes to a shot from a Barnton corner.

After a period of Darwen pressure for no reward, the ball was cleared up to the other end and a cross ball found Bandell unmarked with his powerful shot from outside the box hitting the back of the net, giving keeper Whittingham no chance.

Shortly afterwards, Sidi Fofana and Patrick Hamid went down together after duelling for the ball. While getting up, the Barnton Captain kicked Fofana in the head and play had to be suspended for several minutes as the Darwen striker received treatment. Hamid received a yellow card only, much to the astonishment of the Darwen faithful.


Darwen’s best effort in the first half was a free kick by Ryan Steele with five minutes to go, which he bent round the defensive wall from outside the area, but the ball went past the post.

Four minutes later a Darwen throw went into the box, and a home foot made contact, but straight at Barton keeper Callum Shuttlewood. The ball went down the other end, being passed to Bandell on the wing. He cut into the box to fire past Whittingham just inside the post to complete his hat-trick.

Into extra time, Darwen floated a free kick into the box. Ryan McKenna got a head to it but couldn’t direct the ball on target.

Half Time: AFC Darwen 0 Barnton 3

Five minutes into the restart, a Barton free kick found Sam Houghton, whose effort produced an excellent save from James Whittingham. Eight minutes later Shuttlewood did well to get two hands on a Liam Cole shot.

With twenty minutes to go, Barnton should have increased the lead when Bandell set up Ryan Malone in acres of space. He slid the ball past Whittingham but wide of the target. The home side were reduced to ten men late on when Callum Hoctor received his second yellow card for a foul. Referee Edward Duckworth dished out nine cards in total.

In injury time Darwen got a consolation goal when Ryan Steele was upended in the area. The same player made short work of the spot kick in the last action of the match.


Full Time: AFC Darwen 1 Barnton 3


REFEREE: Edward Duckworth

ASSISTANTS: Andrew Daniels, Steven Holden


Barnton: Bandell (9, pen, 19, 45)

AFC Darwen: Steele (90+3, pen)


Barnton: Chris Bandell

AFC Darwen: Ryan Steele

YELLOW CARDS: Kavanagh, Hamid, Houghton (Barnton), Whittingham, Wood, Cassidy, Fofana (AFC Darwen)

RED CARDS: Hoctor (2 yellows) (AFC Darwen)



1 Callum Shuttlewood

2 Josh Kavanagh

3 Owen Dursley

4 Patrick Hamid (Capt.)

5 George Riley

6 Niall Ford

7 Ryan Malone

8 Sam Houghton

9 Chris Bandell

10 George Webster

11 Steve Warburton

12 Christopher Kiernan (replaced Bandell, 89 minutes)

14 Derek McShane (replaced Malone, 86 minutes)

15 Nick Newman (replaced Warburton, 82 minutes)

16 James McShane

17. William Smith

AFC Darwen

1 James Whittingham

2 Kieran Wood

3 Fenton Brown

4 Tim Drugan

5 Ryan McKenna

6 Kiel Lonsdale (Capt.)

7 Luke Cassidy

8 Jamie Edwards

9 Sidi Fofana

10 Ryan Steele

11 Callum Hoctor

12 Dean Smallridge (replaced Cassidy, 86 minutes)

14Liam Cole (replaced Brown, 55 minutes)

15 Danny Banks

(Photos by Grant Robertson)