Hallmark Security League Premier Division 
19/04/2018, 7:45 pm
AFC Darwen
1 - 3
Abbey Hey
WEC Group Anchor Ground
First Team

Match Report





Darwen had good chances to get something from this game tonight, but circumstances again did not run for them. A disallowed free kick goal, a bad facial injury to the first choice goalkeeper, and a sending off put paid to the home side’s chances. Adam Monk was making his debut for the first team in this game.

After a subdued midfield contest, the first chance of the night fell to the home side as a ball put Sidi Fofana through. His first shot was blocked by keeper Jonathan McIlwaine, the ball rebounded back to him, but Sidi fired his second effort over the bar.

With three minutes of the half to go, an Abbey free kick was latched onto by Peter Watling, but Darwen keeper James Whittingham sprinted off his line quickly to block the forward’s shot.

Half Time: AFC Darwen 0 Abbey Hey 0

Within a minute of the restart, Darwen substitute Jamie Edwards just missed getting a foot to deflect a free kick floated in, with the ball ending up in the keeper’s arms. Three minutes later, as James Whittingham again dashed out to stop Watling, he was accidentally kicked in the face, resulting in a possible broken nose. After several minutes of treatment, he was helped off the field and substituted.

Shortly after this, Abbey Hey took the lead. A ball from the back found Ashford Blake, who got behind the Darwen defence to slide the ball past the substitute keeper. Just after the hour, the visitors were close again when a ball ran out twenty five yards to Matthew Cook, whose dipping shot went over the keeper’s head but smashed against the crossbar.

There was another long delay when referee Paul Roots picked up an injury and had to have treatment, but continued with his ankle strapped up.

A Karl Turner free kick found Nick Hepple in the box, where his header was pushed over the bar by McIlwaine, but Darwen were then reduced to ten men when Callum Hoctor was given a straight red for a foul.

With fifteen minutes of normal time to go, the Darwen keeper made a good stop to deny Adam Farrand, but from the resulting corner, defender Lee Wilshaw headed home at the far post.

Five minutes later, the home side was awarded a free kick on the edge of the box. Ryan Steele executed the kick beautifully over the wall, and into the top corner, leaving the keeper stranded. The goal was then disallowed after a flag by the linesman indicated that a Darwen player possibly obstructed the sight line of the ball for the keeper.

To compound what could only have been a one goal deficit, the visitors increased their lead when the foot of Wilshaw deflected the ball into the net from a low corner.

Well into injury time, after an Abbey Hey attack broke down, the ball was swiftly fed upfield to Bobby Langford, who beat the defender, rounded the keeper, and stroked the ball home to give Darwen a consolation goal.

Full Time: AFC Darwen 1 Abbey Hey 3.


REFEREE: Paul Roots

ASSISTANTS: Matthew Archbold, Adam Watson


Abbey Hey: Blake (56), Wilshaw (75, 86)

AFC Darwen: Langford (90+8)


Abbey Hey: Lewis Haydock

AFC Darwen: Martin Parker

YELLOW CARDS: Boyle (Abbey Hey), Turner (AFC Darwen)

RED CARDS: Hoctor (AFC Darwen)


Abbey Hey

1 Jonathan McIlwaine

2 Robert Swallow

3 Matthew Cook

4 Lee Wilshaw

5 Andrew Smith (Capt.)

6 Lewis Haydock

7 Peter Boyle

8 Ashford Blake

9 Peter Watling

10 Adam Farrand

11 Nathan Edwards

12 Marcus Haydock (replaced Farrand, 83 minutes)

14 Daniel McLoughlin (replaced Edwards, 77 minutes)

15 Luke Gibson

AFC Darwen

1 James Whittingham

2 Karl Turner (Capt.)

3 Calum Hoctor

4 Danny Banks

5 Martin Parker

6 Ryan McKenna

7 Sidi Fofana

8 Ryan Steele

9 Nick Hepple

10 Bobby Langford

11 Adam Monk

12Liam Cole

14 Jamie Edwards (replaced Monk, 46 minutes)

15 Mahamadou Diallo

16 Luke Cassidy

18 Fenton Brown(replaced Turner, 87 minutes)