Hallmark Security League Premier Division 
19/12/2017, 7:45 pm
AFC Darwen
1 - 4
Charnock Richard
WEC Group Anchor Ground
First Team

Match Report





Darwen gave a far better account of themselves against their visitors than in a previous meeting some three weeks earlier, and despite being a man down for over half the match, they were in with a shout of getting something from the game until two late goals sealed the win for Charnock Richard.

Martin Parker was playing in his 142nd competitive match for Darwen but his first since April 2014 and had a match to remember, albeit for the wrong reasons. Ex Darwen player Jonny Hession was in the opposition squad.

The visitors were soon off the mark when a ball into the Darwen box was powerfully headed home by Ashley Young in the fifth minute.

Darwen Captain Karl Turner had a good chance eight minutes later as he was put through the middle but shot wide of the post. Three minutes later, Sidi Fofana intercepted a Charnock throw to set up Nick Hepple, but the striker delayed too long, enabling keeper Adam Halton to block.

The visitors caused problems for the Darwen defence on the half hour with a ball into the area, but blocks by defenders and keeper managed to keep the ball out of the net. Five minutes later, a Charnock free kick inside the Darwen half and into the box was headed over keeper Steven James and on to the crossbar.

The home side had been competing well in the game, but their chances were dealt a bitter blow with three minutes of the half to go when Martin Parker received his second booking for kicking the ball away, leaving Darwen to play the rest of the game with ten men.

Half Time: AFC Darwen 0 Charnock Richard 1

The visitors increased their lead within ten minutes of the restart as a well hit volley by Nathan Fairhurst gave keeper Steven James no chance.

On the hour the home side were back in the match when Adam Halton and a defender got in each other’s way trying to clear a high cross. The ball came out of the keeper’s hands and Nick Hepple was in the right spot to bury the ball into the back of the net. Five minutes later, the Darwen striker came close the levelling the match as his first drive was blocked and his second effort was tipped over the bar by Halton.

With twenty minutes to go, Steven James pushed away a dangerous ball into the area, but the visitors were now pressing the ten men of Darwen and as the match neared its end scored twice to seal the game. James Walker was on target on seventy eight minutes, and although a run through the middle and shot by Jonny Hession was pushed away by Steven James, the ball fell into the path of Carl Grimshaw to score three minutes later.

Full Time: AFC Darwen 1 Charnock Richard 4


REFEREE: Craig Buxton

ASSISTANTS: Allen Cleoirie, Majid Ali


Charnock Richard: Young (5), Fairhurst (54), Walker (78), Grimshaw (81)

AFC Darwen: Hepple (61)


Charnock Richard: Spencer Bibby

AFC Darwen: Alex Ralph

YELLOW CARDS: Woods (Charnock Richard)

RED CARDS: Parker (2 yellows) (AFC Darwen)


Charnock Richard

1 Adam Halton

2 Harvey Close

3 Jack Sanders

4 Anthony Hough

5 Ryan Schofield

6 Ashley Young

7 Matthew Davison

8 Nathan Fairhurst

9 Carl Grimshaw (Capt.)

10 Spencer Bibby

11 Mark Woods

12 Jonathan Hession (replaced Hough, 76 minutes)

14 Joseph Noblet

15 Ross O’Farrell

16 David Sherlock

17 James Walker (replaced Woods, 55 minutes)

AFC Darwen

1 Steven James

2 Gary Brown

3 Callum Hoctor

4 Mark Sharples

5 Martin Parker

6 Ryan McKenna

7 Bobby Langford

8 Karl Turner (Capt.)

9 Nick Hepple

10 Sidi Fofana

11 Alex Ralph

12 Luke Cassidy (replaced Ralph, 79 minutes)

14 Jack Prince (replaced Langford, 65 minutes)

15 Josh Moorhouse

16 Jamie Edwards (replaced Sharples, 46 minutes)

18 Luke Jarrold