Hallmark Security League Premier Division 
30/09/2017, 3:00 pm
West Didsbury & Chorlton
4 - 5
AFC Darwen
First Team

Match Report





In a nine goal thriller here today at a rainy Recreation Ground, Darwen edged out West Didsbury & Chorlton, with new signing Chappy Massamba scoring four on his debut.

The visitors were in front within ten minutes. After some home pressure, Alex Ralph retrieved the ball on the half way line, and made his way down the wing before crossing into the box, where Ryan McKenna was waiting at the far end to head back into the opposite corner of the net giving West keeper Conrad Betton little chance.

Jamie Edward’s low drive on twenty minutes drifted by the left upright. It was nearly half an hour before the home side got a shot a target when Saul Henderson brought a cross into the box under control and fired at Tom Scott in goal, but the keeper got two hands to push the shot into the air, and then catch the ball as it dropped.

West Didsbury had a good chance to level the score with a rare mistake by Adam Douglas who passed the ball back but did not see Henderson behind him. The winger was clear on goal, but Tom Scott rushed out to put in a great block and alleviate the danger.

The home side were becoming more threatening as the half neared its end and equalised when a cross into the box by Ben Steer was driven into the corner of the net by Tom Bailey.

Darwen sprung back to retake the lead in injury time. Seydou Bamba retrieved the ball on midfield and his through pass found Ryan McKenna, who slipped the ball to Chappy Massamba. The forward powered into the area to fire past Conrad Betton.

Half Time: West Didsbury & Chorlton 1 AFC Darwen 2

Ten minutes into the restart, Massamba burst into the West Didsbury box, with the ball deflecting off a defender. Darwen retrieved the ball with Massamba getting there first but heading wide. A minute later, the home side were level when a corner from the right sailed over towards the far post, and it appeared to hit the chest of Tom Bailey to deflect into the net.

Five minutes later, Conrad Betton kept the scores level when he tipped a strong Alex Ralph free kick from twenty five yards over the bar. From the resulting corner, the ball was cleared out to Ben Steer, catching the Darwen defence upfield. He made a strong run towards the Darwen box before setting up Matthew Kay to convert and give West Didsbury the lead for the first time in the match, but against the run of play.

Darwen were only behind for three minutes. Ryan McKenna shielded the ball well in midfield before passing to Sidi Fofana, who quickly launched the ball into the West Didsbury box. A defender went to clear but missed the ball completely and Chappy Massamba was waiting behind to convert. Another good move saw McKenna and Massamba combine to set up Alex Ralph, whose effort whistled past Betton and the post.

McKenna and Massamba were causing the home defence all sorts of problems and with twenty minutes to go, Massamba appeared to be chopped down in the penalty area, but referee Lewis Raper allowed play to go on and Ryan McKenna tried jinking in the box to find an opening but was eventually denied by West Didsbury bodies.

As the game neared the last quarter, Darwen regained the lead. Alex Ralph won the ball in midfield and passed to Kiel Lonsdale, who looped the ball over the home defence towards the area. Chappy Massamba beat off his defender to rifle the ball in for his hat-trick.

With ten minutes to go, there was another chance for Darwen when Massamba won back the ball near the corner flag and hit a low cross along the goal area line, but nobody in a red shirt was there to take advantage.

The home side were having to press forward to get something from the game, thus leaving gaps at the back. Darwen exploited this when a boot upfield found Chappy Massamba with only one defender for company. The Darwen forward muscled his opponent off the ball and advanced into the box to blast the ball home for his fourth and Darwen’s fifth.

The home side then went into total attack and besieged the Darwen goal for the rest of the game. The visitors resisted until injury time when a battle in the box resulted in Evangelinos prodding home. Five minutes into stoppage time a well hit drive from twenty yards out by Rydings appeared to be headed for the top corner until Darwen keeper Tom Scott made a fantastic leap across to palm the ball over the bar. To the relief of the visitors, the referee blew for full time shortly after.

Full Time: West Didsbury & Chorlton 4 AFC Darwen 5


REFEREE: Lewis Raper

ASSISTANTS: Ryan Baker, David Cooper


West Didsbury & Chorlton: Bailey (43, 56), Kay (61), Evangelinos (90+2)

AFC Darwen: McKenna (8), Massamba (45+2, 64, 74, 82)


West Didsbury & Chorlton: Ben Steer

AFC Darwen: Chappy Massamba

YELLOW CARDS: McGrath, Parr (West Didsbury & Chorlton), Douglas, Fofana, Ralph (AFC Darwen)



West Didsbury & Chorlton

1 Conrad Betton

2 Scott Mason

3 Michael Simcock

4 Kevin McGrath

5 Samuel Parr

6 Joshua Tinker

7 Ben Steer

8 Declan Rydings

9 Tom Bailey

10 Matthew Kay (Capt.)

11 Saul Henderson

12 Nicolaos Evangelinos (replaced Loukola , 52 minutes)

14 Pauli Loukola (replaced Mason, 18 minutes)

15 Carlos Mendes Gomes (replaced 11, 74 minutes)

16 Daryl Weston

AFC Darwen

1 Tom Scott

2 Gary Brown

3 Seydou Bamba

4 Anthony Hodges

5 Adam Douglas

6 Kiel Lonsdale (Capt.)

7 Jamie Edwards

8 Matthew Allen

9 Ryan McKenna

10 Chappy Massamba

11 Alex Ralph

12 Karl Turner

14 Lee Turner (replaced Massamba, 83 minutes)

15 Luke Jarrold

16 Sidi Fofana (replaced Brown, 54 minutes)

17 Luke Cassidy