Hallmark Security League Premier Division 
02/09/2017, 3:00 pm
AFC Darwen
1 - 3
Maine Road
WEC Group Anchor Ground
First Team

Match Report







A better performance from Darwen today, but failure to take chances and decisions that didn’t go their way resulted in another defeat. The home side had a few personnel back from Tuesday’s depleted squad to add some strength, and Ryan Steele played his first competitive match for the club since his return from abroad.

The game started slowly, with the only save of note being Charlie Whittingham pushing away a shot on target after five minute. With neither team looking like scoring, Maine Road did that on nineteen minutes. Seydou Bamba and Matthew Morgan tussled for the ball into the penalty area. Morgan managed to get his foot to the ball at an acute angle at the side of the post with the ball being deflected into the net, either off the defender’s boot or the keeper’s glove.

Ten minutes later Darwen equalized when a Ryan Steele free kick from twenty five yards out hit the post, with Patrick Furey following up to tap the ball home for his first Darwen goal.

With five minutes to go in the half, an Alex Ralph cross found Ryan Steele, whose shot looked bound for the bottom corner until keeper Ryan Livesey somehow got a hand to the ball to deflect it away. In the final minute, Kiel Lonsdale rose highest to a corner, but put his header wide with the goal gaping.

Half Time: AFC Darwen 1 Maine Road 1

The second half was only two minutes old when a Maine Road corner, powered in, deflecting off Seydou Bamba’s arm. Referee Daniel Hitchell at first seemed to disregarded it as accidental, but the assistant was flagging, and after consultation, awarded a penalty, (the vagaries of the hand ball rule strike again). Jack Poxon scored from the spot.

On the hour, Ryan Steele put Patrick Furey through on goal, but a great last ditch tackle by defender Jack Blundell saved Maine Road’s cause. A minute later the away side thought they had scored after a deflection fell in their path. The ball was put into the net but the offside flag had been raised.

Into the last quarter of the match and Livesey in the Maine Road goal had to rush out of his goal to get to a through ball. According to section of the crowd opposite the incident, he handled outside the box. The linesman on that side gave no indication, and the ball went up the other end for a corner. A short corner was taken and a slide pass found David Brown in space to slot home.

The visitors had another chance when a ball struck a player and rebounded in front of Chrysty O’Brien near the halfway line. He raced onto the edge of the box but with only the keeper to beat he fired against the post.


With five minutes to go, a bad clearance by Livesey found Kiel Lonsdale thirty yards out, with the Darwen captain returning the ball over the keeper but just wide of the post. Livesey redeemed himself two minutes later by blocking a Declan Cunliffe effort just by the upright. In injury time Darwen went close again as a cross from Alex Ralph into the box found the head of Kiel Lonsdale but the ball drifted wide.

Full Time: AFC Darwen 1 Maine Road 3


REFEREE: Daniel Hitchell

ASSISTANTS: David Jones, Zharir Mustafa


Maine Road: Morgan (19), Poxon (48, pen.), Brown (78)

AFC Darwen: Furey (29)


Maine Road: Ryan Livesey

AFC Darwen: Alex Ralph




Maine Road

1 Ryan Livesey

2 Jack Poxon

3 Louie Inniss

4 David Brown

5 Jack Blundell

6 James Ormrod

7 Jack Langford (Capt.)

8 Matthew Morgan

9 Daniel Burgess

10 Owen Pollitt

11 Thomas Keyworth

12 Jonathon Mason

14 Christopher Hirst

15 Chrysty O’Brien (replaced Burgess, 68 minutes)

16 Rory Breslin

AFC Darwen

1 Charlie Whittingham

2 Jamie Edwards

3 Seydou Bamba

4 Luke Jarrold

5 Adam Douglas

6 Kiel Lonsdale (Capt.)

7 Mark McKay

8 Danny Banks

9 Patrick Furey

10 Ryan Steele

11 Alex Ralph

12 Jordan Scott