Hallmark Security League Premier Division 
19/08/2017, 3:00 pm
AFC Darwen
2 - 0
AFC Liverpool
WEC Group Anchor Ground
First Team

Match Report





Darwen achieved their first competitive win of the season with a hard fought victory over AFC Liverpool. Adam Douglas was back in the Darwen defence for the first time this season. Charlie Whittingham and Luke Jarrold made their debuts in the first team.

The home side created a chance in the second minute. Nick Hepple evaded two tackles in the box to set up Mark McKay, whose effort was blocked away for a corner by Liverpool keeper Dominic Garner. Hepple then got a toe to a low cross with Garner diving quickly right and just keeping the ball out of the net.

It was the visitors who had the best chance on ten minutes as Kevin Edgar found himself clear on goal, but sliced the ball wide. Four minutes later, another chance for Darwen when Nick Hepple managed to slide the ball along the goal line with Matt Allen just failing to get a foot on it at the far post. Garner then managed to hold on to a Mark McKay drive at the second attempt.

A Darwen defender was on the line a minute later to hack away a Liverpool effort, and with three minutes to go Charlie Whittingham had to spread himself to block a Kevin Edgar volley.

Half Time: AFC Darwen 0 AFC Liverpool 0

The second half wasn’t two minutes old when Darwen took the lead. Hepple set Jordan Scott off down the wing. The defender then hit a low cross along the Liverpool goal line where Matt Allen was waiting to slot the ball home.

Two good chances on the hour. Liverpool’s Deklan Hill broke clear with only the keeper to beat, but a weak shot was easily saved. The ball went to the other end where Nick Hepple put Mohammed Nabeel through but he blasted a shot over the top.

Charlie Whittingham kept the home side in the lead two minutes later when he blocked a strong shot and follow up from Daniel Boden after a corner. A minute later Declan Cunliffe looped a ball into the Liverpool box from the byline forty yards away which went over the keeper’s head and struck the far post. Two minutes later Nabeel broke through with his shot deflected away for a corner.With twenty minutes to go Darwen increased their lead as Nick Hepple cut into the box from the wing. Dominic Garner managed to block his first effort but the ball rebounded to the striker who made no mistake the second time. It was nearly three two minutes later as Hepple chased a through ball but Garner dashed off his line to get there first.

With nine minutes to go Hepple was through again, with Garner blocking his first effort but the Darwen forward put the rebound wide. Daniel Boden should have reduced the deficit with four minutes to go as he rounded the Darwen keeper but skewed the ball wide with the goal gaping. They came close again in injury time with Anthony Hodges and Charlie Whittingham coming to the rescue and preserving a clean sheet for the Salmoners.

Full Time: AFC Darwen 2 AFC Liverpool 0


REFEREE: Christopher Porter

ASSISTANTS: Shaun Taylor, Joshua Jackson


AFC Liverpool:

AFC Darwen: Allen (47), Hepple (71)


AFC Liverpool: Lee McConchie

AFC Darwen: Nick Hepple

YELLOW CARDS: Edgar, Lewis (AFC Liverpool), Allen, McKay, Cunliffe (AFC Darwen)



AFC Liverpool

1 Dominic Garner

2 Deklan Hill

3 Christopher Anderson

4 Oscar Billington

5 Lee McConchie

6 Allen Weston

7 Michael Boyle (Capt.)

8 Calum Woods

9 Kevin Edgar

10 Joseph Whittingham

11 Andrew Lewis

12 Dylan Sweeney (replaced Boyle, 79 minutes)

14 Stephen Milner (replaced Lewis, 57 minutes)

15 Daniel Boden (replaced Whittingham, 66 minutes)

16 Charlie Middlemore

AFC Darwen

1 Charlie Whittingham

2 Jordan Scott

3 Seydou Bamba

4 Jamie Edwards

5 Adam Douglas

6 Anthony Hodges

7 Mohammed Nabeel

8 Matthew Allen (Capt.)

9 Nick Hepple

10 Mark McKay

11 Alex Ralph

12 Declan Cunliffe (replaced McKay, 63 minutes)

14 Luke Jarrold (replaced Douglas, 73 minutes)

15 Gary Brown

16 Patrick Furey (replaced Hepple, 86 minutes)

18 Corey Harrison