Hallmark Security League Premier Division 
08/10/2016, 3:00 pm
AFC Darwen
0 - 0
Cammell Laird 1907
WEC Group Anchor Ground
First Team

Match Report

Match Report:

Darwen and Laird draw a blank in shock 0 – 0 Draw

Darwen have actually already played Cammell Laird this season. In the very first game of the season in the cup, in a highly entertaining game which eventually ended 3 – 3 but Darwen lost the second leg 3 – 2 in another game full of excitement. So anticipation for the match was high on another sunny day in Darwen.

The game began like the last with consolatory 10 mins in which neither team seemed to be at their best, however Darwen looked on top, finding space on the left and being gifted with many corners but without any results. Kallum Banks looking the most threatening for Darwen.

15 minutes in and laird were given the first real chance of the game Jamil Campbell went through on goal but Ben Proctor had left the safety of his box to clear the ball away, but he was judged to have had his foot too high for the refs liking and was shown a yellow card! The freekick right on the edge of the area was sailed high over the bar.

Many on the Laird bench had protested that the challenge had been inside the box and were demanding a penalty, but 6 minutes later they got what they had wanted when Campbell was brought down inside the box and Laird were rewarded with there so demanded penalty. Campbell stepped up for the penalty, struck the ball hard towards the bottom corner but Proctor produced a brilliant save and pushed the ball wide!

Cammell Laird then had the best opportunity of the match when a break on the right of the pitch lead to a cross into Joe Byrne who headed the ball wide from 6 yards, it looked easier to score!

The penalty taker Campbell then had to identical chances in 10 minutes as he went one on one with Proctor twice who twice was equal to the shots. The personal battle between Proctor and Campbell was being well won by Ben Proctor by half time.

Darwen had the first chance of the second half when they rewarded a freekick, Conor Gaul took the freekick that looked like a training ground routine, low powerful but straight at the laird keeper.

The next 10 minutes was end to end stuff with Darwen edging on shots but conversion was lacking from both teams.

With only 15 minutes left on the watch Darwen were gifted with their best opportunity of the half when an incredible 30 yard through ball by Gaul on the right, found its way through 4 Laird players and found Banks who was through on goal, he had defenders coming down on him and decided to take the shot early, but the shot travelled straight over the bar.

Then after this neither team really got close to the breakthrough and unlike the two previous meetings between the two teams, which had seen 11 goals this match ended how it started and finished 0 – 0

Cameron Deacon