Hallmark Security League Premier Division 
07/01/2017, 3:00 pm
1 - 0
AFC Darwen
First Team

Match Report





Darwen enjoyed most of the ball during the game, especially in the first half, but could not convert chances into goals, and were caught with a ball over the top sucker punch, which put close relegation rivals Barnton further away from the drop zone.

The visitors created the first chance in the second minute as Alex Ralph saw his effort from thirty yards loop over the Barnton keeper but just clear the bar. On the quarter hour, a header by Mohammed Nabeel from a Ralph cross was palmed away by Matthew Conkie in the Barnton goal. As the half hour approached, Conkie had to dive down bravely at the feet of Nabeel to stop the ball entering the net. The ball was cleared upfield and latched onto by Joshua Crofts, who got behind the Darwen defence to fire a shot, well saved by Ben Proctor in goal.

Proctor then comfortably gathered a Barnton effort from twenty yards out, and at the other end a Jordan Scott free kick from fthe same distance was saved by Conkie. A minute later, a Ryan McKenna’s strike was under hit posing no problem for the Barnton keeper. With a minute of the half to go a Darwen corner ball was headed down by Keith Wedge but a visiting foot failed to get a telling touch as Conkie gratefully dived on the ball.

Half Time: Barnton 0 AFC Darwen 0

At the start of the second half, an Alex Ralph drive was headed toward the top corner, but Matthew Conkie got to the ball just in time. In the seventh minute Anthony Lynch’s through ball set up a golden chance for Ryan McKenna, but with only the keeper to beat, he put his effort went wide of the post. Three minutes later, Jonathan McDonald burst through into the area but fired straight at the keeper.

On the hour, and against the run of play, Barnton went in front. A Darwen attack broke down and the ball was booted upfield. It fell into the path of Ryan Malone, whose pace left Darwen defenders in his wake. He rounded Ben Proctor to slice the ball in from an angle.

The home side nearly doubled their lead six minutes later when James McShane barged his way into the box, with only a great two handed save by Ben Proctor denying him. At the other end Nick Hepple created space for himself on the edge of the box but fired over the bar. Barnton then came close again as Joshua Crofts was allowed to strike from twenty yards. Ben Proctor got a hand to the ball and was relieved to see it trickle by the post.

With ten minutes to go, a Nick Hepple free kick was well seen by Conkie in goal, who saved on the line. In injury time, a scuffed Barnton shot was deflected away for a corner.

Full Time: Barnton 1 AFC Darwen 0


REFEREE: Kristian Silcock
ASSISTANTS: William Bennett, Jack Cliff

Barnton: Malone (61)
AFC Darwen:

Barnton: Matthew Conkie
AFC Darwen: Anthony Lynch

YELLOW CARDS: Smith (Barnton), Scott, McDonald, Allen (AFC Darwen)



1 Matthew Conkie
2 Jack McKay
3 Adam Clayton
4 Daniel Meadowcroft
5 Ryan Broadhead
6 James McShane
7 Joshua Crofts
8 Samuel Houghton
9 Christopher Smith
10 Jason McShane
11 Ryan Malone
12 Dylan Cross
14 Callum Richards
15 Jordan Stafford (replaced McShane, 71 minutes)
16 Lee Vaughan (replaced Crofts, 80 minutes)
17 Jonathan Jones (replaced Malone, 89 minutes)

AFC Darwen
1 Ben Proctor
2 Jordan Scott
3 Jonathan McDonald
4 Matthew Allen
5 Adam Douglas
6 Keith Wedge
7 Alex Ralph
8 Anthony Lynch
9 Ryan McKenna
10 Mohammed Nabeel
11 Daniel Russell
12 Liam Cole (replaced Nabeel, 76 minutes)
14 Jamie Edwards (replaced Russell, 60 minutes)
15 Nick Hepple (replaced Douglas, 55 minutes)
16 Declan Cunliffe