Hallmark Security League Premier Division 
12/10/2016, 7:45 pm
1 - 1
AFC Darwen
First Team

Match Report

Darwen gain hard earned point at Padiham

Another clear Wednesday night meant another local derby for Darwen and another chance for Darwen to gain some vital points in the league.

Games recently had started slow and this was no different as for the first 10 minutes both teams just looked to find their feet, bringing the ball forward but failing to find any killer passes that would open up the opponents defence.

Darwen had the first real opportunity of the game when the Darwen deffender received the ball from range, aimed for goal and let loose his effort sailed just wide of the goal.

Padiham had the next chance when a great over the top ball fell to the feet of 9 on the right side of the box, his first time right footed shot was well saved by the Darwen keeper. 2 minutes later another chance came their way, when a through ball looked to set the Padiham number 10 through on goal, but his first touch was poor and the keeper collected easily.

On the half an hour mark Darwen had a threatening looking free kick around 25 yards from goal but the freekick from Conner Gaul, although good technique, was straight at the keepers hands.

Five minutes passed and Darwen had gained control of the game and weren’t letting Padiham out of their half. Keeping good position of the ball and swinging in many crosses but with very little threatening chances.

Then against the run of play and in the last chance of the half, in the 40th minute the big Padiham striker went through on goal and although his attempted run around the keeper was saved the Padiham 10 was there to finish into the empty net, at half time the teams went in 1 – 0 to Padiham.

Padiham came out in the second half on top, keeping the vast majority of the ball for the first 10 minutes but Darwen held there lines and defended well. They managed to slowly drag themselves back into the game and 68th minute were finally rewarded for their efforts. When the Darwen striker received a dropping ball on the edge of the Padiham area took aim and fired neatly into the bottom corner of the goal from about 22 yards. Darwen were back on level terms 1 – 1!

The game then turned into what I like to refer to as tennis football. The ball getting fired from one end of the pitch to the other, with long balls galore being fired all over the shop chances were popping up on both halves of play!

The first chance came to Padiham, a counter attack on the right lead to a cross towards an open target who had all the goal to aim at but his head completely missed the ball. Any connection would surely ended in a goal!

Then in the 88th minute Darwen had a great chance when a great peace of 1 touch football between Gaul and a midfielder lead to a first time effort by Gaul whose shot was well saved!

But in the 90th+ minute Padiham had a chance to win it when the big 9 went bearing down on goal one on one, he tried to put off the Darwen keeper, but he wasn’t fazed at all and when the shot came in the keeper was equal to it, saving low in the bottom right corner of the goal!

But he didn’t covert and the game ended 1 – 1. A point earned and not two lost from a Darwen perspective!

Cameron Deacon